Pligget
Little to say for myself


Monday, July 21, 2003

Sydney

 
So about this first visit to the southern hemisphere:

I was lucky to have enough time to do a whirlwind tour of the city, and managed to squeeze off 174 photos before my camera memory ran out. It has to be said that about 40 of them were of the Opera House. In the end I conceded that there just isn't a best view of it - it looks amazing from every angle.

Given that Sydney must be one of the most photographed cities in the world, and the best-known of its landmarks are iconic, I've included a few samples which might be a fresh view for one or two of you.

First, an advert for Sydney's welcoming atmosphere. Botanic Gardeners of the world take note:




Being midwinter, the sun set around 5pm. Fortunately I had my trusty pocket tripod with me (a snip at £6.99 from Jessops!) and was able to keep snapping well into the night:







That last one of Darling Harbour was taken when I was feeling totally euphoric. That day I'd walked through the Botanical Gardens, bought pressies for my loved ones (including me), been to the top of the Sydney Tower, and had a fabulous swordfish steak on the quay at Darling Harbour as the sun set. The photo was taken at about 7pm after I'd just been for a 3D ride in the International Space Station (courtesy of the Imax cinema). I came out of the cinema onto the quayside, listening to Comfortably Numb on my new Ipod, and saw Darling Harbour at night. I hurriedly took a few snaps as I knew I was on my way back to the Opera House Drama Theatre to see Proof. The combination of recent experiences, current sensations and anticipation of the evening ahead was almost too much to take.

It was the best day I have ever spent on my own.

The last photo I took involved waiting an hour and a half at the window of the Quantas lounge at the airport. The tail of the BA 747 had been blocking my view of the city skyline while it was parked at the departure gate. It took an age to embark everyone and finally back away from the terminal, and then another age queueing to take off.



An enduring memory of Oz: While I was waiting for the 747 to move, I made several trips to the bar. Unlike every other lounge I've been to, where you can help yourself to little bottles or cans of beer, Quantas had had the forethought to provide beer pumps. On about the third visit, I arrived at the counter just as a distinguished-looking gent in a smart suit was choosing between the champagne and the Australian fizz. When he noticed the beer pumps, he gave me a nudge and said: "Hey, that's Ripper!"

posted by Plig | 13:28 |


Comments: Post a Comment
Forget the sentimental notion that foreign policy is a struggle between virtue and vice, with virtue bound to win.
Forget the utopian notion that a brave new world without power politics will follow the unconditional surrender of wicked nations.
Forget the crusading notion that any nation, however virtuous and powerful, can have the mission to make the world in its own image.
Remember that diplomacy without power is feeble, and power without diplomacy is destructive and blind.
Remember that no nation's power is without limits, and hence that its policies must respect the power and interests of others.
Hans Morgenthau

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts
Bertrand Russell

The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one
Albert Einstein

When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative
Martin Luther King Jr.

Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man
Bertrand Russell

I think it would be a good idea
Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun
Pablo Picasso

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others
Groucho Marx

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it
Mahatma Gandhi

Always make new mistakes
Esther Dyson
archives
blogs I like
The look of this blog owes much to Mena Trott, but everything posted to it is my copyright, unless I say otherwise. If you want to use or quote any of it, please do the decent thing and let me know.